Monday, February 14, 2011

Side-line struggles with blue eyes

One of the biggest struggles has actually been “cabin-fever” and lack of freedom of movement. I am a very independent person (to say the least) and I have learnt that much of my inner contentedness (if that is a word) hinges on my freedom of movement. When my movement is restricted by curfews, protective hosts, and the “need” to have an Egyptian male companion I can become quite edgy.

The first few days, before moving to my friend’s house, I moved around cautiously but easy enough. Often times I could easily make my blue eyes bigger with that “I love you, Daddy” look and I could get into places without even showing my I.D.

As the days passed and protestors were not backing down the State started accusing foreigners of instigating the protests. At first we were all accused of being Israeli spies. (The “previous” !!  Egyptian government planted a lot of fear tactics to instill a hatred of Israelis by Egyptians). Its rather ridiculous if you really think about it- this was a peaceful demonstration by Egyptians against the government, why would they care about Israelis at this time??!
Then all journalists were under attack.
There were numerous incidences of foreigners being very randomly picked up on the street by police and military and being detained at State security/intelligence. My current roommate was also arrested and detained over night—very fortunately no torture tactics were used just intimidation. Nonetheless, the mood significantly changed towards foreigners for a few days which basically resulted in house arrest.

One of the funniest times was when the government said that foreigners were being given 100USD and being supported by KFC (yes, Kentucky Fried Chicken) do perpetuate the protests. (Yes, this was after it was discovered that Mubarak paid the camel and horse drivers 100LE to raid the protests.)The protestors simply came to the square with KFC bags held high! Eat that Mubarak!

I dyed my hair black before returning to Cairo; little did I know it would help me blend in so much better! Thus when I put on my big sunglasses, a current trend in Egypt and didn’t say anything, I could move around in the day but only with an Egyptian and usually male companion. I started to carry my passport everywhere. Once curfew came, usually 4pm, I was in the house. Even though the neighborhood was quite and safe and I was always with Egyptian men, it wasn’t worth the risk- for me or them.

I think I’ve watched more T.V. during those two weeks than in the past 10yrs of my life!

Eventually, the State realized that people weren’t buying the “blame it on the foreigners” tactic and many were actually offended. Apparently, the government did not believe that Egyptians could organize and execute these protests. Then when Suliman said that Egypt was not ready for democracy, that was the last straw and protestors and Egyptians really started looking out for foreigners.

No comments:

Post a Comment