Sunday, August 28, 2011

2.5 yrs...

They say you shouldn't go grocery shopping on an empty stomach. Has anybody yet coined the phrase, you shouldn't blog with tears in your eyes? Even if so, the extrovert I am, I shall type.

Just over 2.5 years ago I wrote my first blog entry. I was excited by the doors opening and adventures starting in Africa. Two years ago, almost to the day, I started my life in Cairo, Egypt. Now, is the night before I leave this continent(- at least for now.)

Of course, its almost mid-night and the taxi arrives at 7am. My bags are not yet packed and I still have to finish a report...but my phone keeps ringing and my heart keeps tugging...

People have always asked me why I chose to do my Master's degree in Egypt. American's somehow respect my individuality and just give me a puzzled look and keep their mouths shut. Egyptians usally laugh at me. Africans (the non-Egyptian ones) smile. I came to Egypt to do my MA because I wanted to work more with Africans, in particular I wanted to learn the East African flavors.

Now, two years later my facebook is full of memories and my phone keeps ringing with my East African family saying their version of "see you laters." I successfully accomplished what I came here to do and now I am leaving yet another family.

This is the most eclectic family however comprised of people from Sudan, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somalia, Ivory Coast, Congo, Iraq (tho not African!) and me, from Amreeka (America in Arabic.) We have learned so much together through hard work, tears, challenges, a revolution, racism, discrimination, poverty... you name it, this group has overcome it. I could write a book on how much they inspire me...but now is not the time. I must yet again pack.

Life is what you make of it. Family- biological or no- are those with whom you share and love life. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, to my Cairen family. Ma'salema.

2 comments:

  1. <3. You're the strongest woman I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You continue to inspire me. When are you going to write the book? :)

    ReplyDelete